20 Brief & Essential Facts: Commanders-Vikings
Each week, VikingsTerritory details 20 statistical or interesting facts about the upcoming Minnesota Vikings game. This week’s edition involves the Washington Commanders, who are 3.5-point underdogs facing the Vikings in Week 9.
The game is on November 6th, 2022, at noon CST at FedEx Field.
These are the 20 random facts to know about Commanders-Vikings:
1. The Commanders offense ranks 30th in the NFL per DVOA — and didn’t improve much when Taylor Heinicke joined the starting lineup three weeks ago.
2. Since the start of 2021, Washington is the league’s 23rd-best home team. FedEx field is not a terribly daunting place for opponents.
3. The Commanders have the NFL’s third-best 3rd Down defense, stifling opponents to the tune of a 31.0% conversion rate.
4. Through seven games, the Vikings offensive line ranks 10th-best leaguewide per Pro Football Focus. Pinch us.
5. No one has more sacks or tackles for loss than Za’Darius Smith through Week 8.
6. Dalvin Cook is on pace for 1,362 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns, which would be the second-best season of his career.
7. Adam Thielen hasn’t had 100+ receiving yards in a game since Week 6 of 2021. He’s long overdue.
8. Justin Jefferson is on pace for 1,826 receiving yards and 7 total touchdowns.
9. A TE drafted in the 1st Round hasn’t played in a game for the Vikings since 1967. His name was Marlin McKeever.
10. The Vikings scored two 3rd-Quarter touchdowns in Week 8 against the Cardinals, their first 3rd-Quarter touchdowns of 2022. Perhaps the drought is over.
11. Minnesota’s 64.3% field goal conversion ranks dead last in the NFL thru 8 weeks.
12. Patrick Peterson has a 64.5 passer-rating-against so far in 2022. Quite good.
13. Since the start of 2020, 72.5% of all Vikings games have been decided by 8 points or fewer.
14. According to Pro Football Focus, the Vikings best player at the moment is Christian Darrisaw, with an 85.8 grade.
15. Kirk Cousins hasn’t thrown 3+ passing touchdowns in a game since Week 18 of last year.
16. Washington has one former Vikings player affiliated with its current roster: Taylor Heinicke. Most teams have at least two or so.
17. This is the difference coaching can make:
in One-Score Games,
(8 pts or fewer)
2021 = 6-8 (21st in NFL)
2022 = 5-0 (1st in NFL)
18. New TE T.J. Hockenson is now apart of a team with at least six wins for the first time in his career.
19. The Commanders haven’t had a QB throw for 3+ TDs and 0 INTs in a home game since Kirk Cousins left.
20. Minnesota is amid its first five-game win streak since 2017.
Vikings MVP May Not Be Justin Jefferson
Dustin Baker is a political scientist who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2007. Subscribe to his daily YouTube Channel, VikesNow. He hosts a podcast with Bryant McKinnie, which airs every Wednesday with Raun Sawh and Sally from Minneapolis. His Viking fandom dates back to 1996. Listed guilty pleasures: Peanut Butter Ice Cream, ‘The Sopranos,’ and The Doors (the band).
You must be logged in to post a comment.