Vikings Release First Unofficial Depth Chart
The first Vikings depth chart of the preseason is interesting regarding the preseason game in Las Vegas on Sunday. It’s not a big deal, however, that early in camp. While the Vikings are expected to run a lot of 11-personnel this season, the chart is listed in 21-personnel, two backs, one tight end, and two wideouts.
- Starter: Kirk Cousins
- Backups: Kellen Mond OR Sean Mannion
- Starter: Dalvin Cook
- Backups: Alexander Mattison; Kene Nwangwu; Ty Chandler; Bryant Koback
- Starter: C.J. Ham
- Backup: Jake Bargas
- Starters: Adam Thielen, Justin Jefferson
- Backups: K.J. Osborn and Ihmir Smith-Marsette; Bisi Johnson and Myron Mitchell; Trishton Jackson OR Jalen Nailor and Dan Chisena; Albert Wilson; Thomas Hennigan and Blake Proehl (Active/PUP list)
- Starter: Irv Smith Jr.
- Backups: Johnny Mundt; Ben Ellefson; Zach Davidson; Nick Muse; Shaun Beyer
- Starters: Christian Darrisaw (LT), Brian O’Neill (RT)
- Backups: Blake Brandel (LT) and Olisaemeka Udoh (RT); Vederian Lowe (LT) and Timon Parris (RT)
- Starters: Ezra Cleveland (LG), Garrett Bradbury (C) and Jesse Davis (RG)
- Backups: Chris Reed (LG), Austin Schlottmann (C) and Ed Ingram (RG); Kyle Hinton (LG), Josh Sokol (C) and Wyatt Davis (RG)
Nothing surprising about the offense. The expected starters are listed as starters. Jesse Davis is still the first-team right guard. Wyatt Davis being listed as the third-team right guard is not encouraging. At this point, it would be a surprise if he makes the team. Ben Ellefson still has the inside track over Zach Davidson. Neither of Mond or Mannion are listed as lone backup for Cousins on the unofficial Vikings depth chart.
- Starters: Dalvin Tomlinson, Armon Watts
- Backups: Jonathan Bullard and James Lynch; Jaylen Twyman and Esezi Otomewo; Jullian Taylor
- Starter: Harrison Phillips
- Backups: T.J. Smith; T.Y. McGill, Jr.; Tyarise Stevenson
- Starters: Danielle Hunter and Za’Darius Smith
- Backups: Pat Jones II and D.J. Wonnum; Luiji Vilain and Janarius Robinson; Andre Mintze and Zach McCloud
- Starters: Eric Kendricks (MLB) and Jordan Hicks (WLB)
- Backups: Troy Dye (MLB) and Brian Asamoah II (WLB); Chazz Surratt (MLB) and Blake Lynch (WLB); Ryan Connelly (MLB — on Active/PUP list) and William Kwenkeu (WLB)
- Starters: Patrick Peterson and Cameron Dantzler
- Backups: Chandon Sullivan and Andrew Booth, Jr.; Kris Boyd and Akayleb Evans; Parry Nickerson and Harrison Hand; Nate Hairston and Tye Smith
- Starters: Harrison Smith and Camryn Bynum
- Backups: Lewis Cine and Josh Metellus; Myles Dorn and Mike Brown
For the first time in decades, the Vikings will play a 3-4 defense. Bynum and Dantzler are listed as starters at corner, while rookies Booth and Cine are still backups at their positions.
- Starter: Greg Joseph
- Starter: Jordan Berry
- Backup: Ryan Wright
- Starter: Andrew DePaola
- Starter: Kene Nwangwu
- Backups: K.J. Osborn, Ty Chandler
- Starter: Smith-Marsette
- Backup: Jalen Nailor
The only competition among specialists is at punter, Berry is listed at the top on the first Vikings depth chart. Kicker Greg Joseph has already beaten his competition in OTAs. The punt returning job is vacant, Smith-Marsette is getting the first chance to win it.
Janik Eckardt is a football fan who likes numbers and stats. The Vikings became his favorite team despite their quarterback at the time, Christian Ponder. He is a walking soccer encyclopedia, loves watching sitcoms, and Classic rock is his music genre of choice. Follow him on Twitter if you like the Vikings: @JanikEckardt