The Minnesota Vikings made four transactions in the days leading up to training camp. They waived running back Roc Thomas and added guard Tiano Pupungatoa, then waived safety Micah Abernathy and acquired running back De’Angelo Henderson.
Now, a few days into training camp, the team roster sits at an offseason maximum of 90 players. To get caught up on who’s all on the squad, let’s take a look at the current players that comprise the roster. To make things a little more interesting, I’ve noted which players will become free agents following the season and also added my 53-man projection. The Vikings will trim down the roster to 53 players on August 31st (3pm CST deadline) before the start of what is amounting to the biggest season (in terms of expectations both locally as well as nationally (just ask bet-wv.com)) since 2009.
NOTE: Players with a single star (*) next to their name are 2020 unrestricted free agents (UFAs) while players with a double star (**) are 2020 restricted free agents (RFAs).
Adam Thielen #19
Stefon Diggs #14
Chad Beebe #12
Jordan Taylor* #18
Laquon Treadwell* #11
Bisi Johnson #81
Dillon Mitchell #17
Brandon Zylstra #15
Davion Davis #16
Jeff Badet #13
Alexander Hollins #85
Dan Bailey* #5
Matt Wile #6
My 53-man roster projection
- QB (3): Kirk Cousins, Sean Mannion*, Kyle Sloter**
- RB (4): Dalvin Cook, Alexander Mattison, Ameer Abdullah*, CJ Ham**
- WR (6): Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Chad Beebe, Laquon Treadwell*, Bisi Johnson, Davion Davis
- TE (4): Kyle Rudolph, Irv Smith Jr., David Morgan*, Tyler Conklin
- OL (9): Riley Reiff, Brian O’Neill, Rashod Hill*, Aviante Collins**, Garrett Bradbury, Pat Elflein, Brett Jones*, Josh Kline, Dru Samia
- DL (9): Linval Joseph, Shamar Stephen, Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Hercules Mata’afa, Armon Watts, Everson Griffen, Danielle Hunter, Stephen Weatherly*
- LB (5): Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Ben Gedeon, Eric Wilson**, Cameron Smith
- DB (10): Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes*, Mackensie Alexander*, Mike Hughes, Craig James, Kris Boyd, Harrison Smith, Anthony Harris*, Jayron Kearse*, Marcus Epps
- ST (3): Dan Bailey*, Matt Wile, Austin Cutting
Reserve/Suspended: Holton Hill
If you have any thoughts on my final 53-man projection, such as why I included Treadwell, I’d love to discuss in the comments below. Please keep the comments civil… ?