On Monday, in advance of the Friday night showdown against the New Orleans Saints, the Minnesota Vikings released the first preseason depth chart of 2019. Although roles could change leading up to the regular season, here’s a look at how the 90-man roster is currently comprised in eyes of the coaching staff.
K: 5 Dan Bailey
P: 6 Matt Wile
(Physically Unable to Perform/Non-Football Injury)
The #Vikings first unofficial depth chart of 2019 has been released.
— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) August 5, 2019
A few takeaways from the first depth chart of 2019:
- Running back Alexander Mattison is listed as the backup to starter Dalvin Cook. Rookies generally don’t climb up the depth chart quickly with Mike Zimmer at the helm but Mattison has impressed throughout camp. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of role he ultimately plays in the Vikings’ new offense.
- Ameer Abdullah is listed as both the starting kick returner and punt returner. A young group of wide receivers makes up the depth behind him at both positions…
- Chad Beebe and Dillon Mitchell are listed as backups at punt returner while Jeff Badet and Bisi Johnson are listed as backups at kick returner.
- The wide receiver groups are led by Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Chad Beebe and Jordan Taylor are listed at No. 2 behind the starters. With Beebe the presumed No. 3, that leaves Taylor at No. 4, meaning Laquon Treadwell is currently at No. 5.
- There weren’t any surprises with the quarterback depth. Sean Mannion is listed as the backup to Kirk Cousins while Kyle Sloter and Jake Browning are No. 3 and No. 4, respectively. It’s worth noting that head coach Mike Zimmer said on Monday that Mannion hasn’t necessarily separated himself from the pack as the No. 2 quarterback.
- Rookie tight end Irv Smith Jr. is listed as the backup to starter Kyle Rudolph and Tyler Conklin is presently ahead of David Morgan, who has been rehabbing from offseason knee surgery.
- Veteran long-snapper Kevin McDermott has the early lead over rookie Austin Cutting.
- Defensive tackle Jalyn Holmes is currently listed as the backup at three-technique over Hercules Mata’afa.
- Try not to look too much into depth chart No. 1 as a lot can change quickly. The first preseason game is Friday night.