20 Things to Know before Vikings-Steelers
The Minnesota Vikings (5-7) return home in Week 14, hosting the playoff-contending Pittsburgh Steelers (6-5-1).
Here are 20 stats, facts, and things to know leading into the interconference showdown between the Vikings and Steelers.
- The Steelers have played one football game in the state of Minnesota in the last 34 years.
- The historical head-to-head series between the Vikings and Steelers is evenly knotted at 9-9.
- Both Kirk Cousins and Ben Roethlisberger have thrown a touchdown pass in 26 consecutive games. That is the longest active streak in the NFL.
- The Vikings rank second-to-last in the NFL in yards per rush allowed (4.7).
- The Steelers rank last in the NFL in yards per rush allowed (4.8).
- The Steelers rank first in the NFL in Sacks (3.1 per game).
- The Vikings rank second in the NFL in Sacks (3.0 per game).
- Minnesota is the best in the NFL for giveaways (0.8 per game) and has a losing record to show for it.
- At 96%, the Steelers own the most accurate field-goal kicking in the league. They’ve missed one field goal all season.
- Steelers rookie RB Najee Harris ranks seventh in the NFL for rushing yards (779).
- Based on playoff probability, the Vikings reasonably have to win four of their last five games to reach the postseason — or have a lot of help from the 49ers, Eagles, and Washington via losses.
- Kirk Cousins has thrown 42 touchdowns to 16 interceptions in 23 primetime games since 2015. But most of the media will have the public believe he is atrocious at night.
- The Vikings 2021, at 5-7, have a worse record through 12 games than the 2020 Vikings (6-6).
- Before Danielle Hunter’s season-ending injury, the Vikings ranked sixth in the NFL for defensive EPA/play. Since his departure, Minnesota ranks 30th — or third-worst.
- In the final two minutes of the 1st Half, the Vikings have scored one touchdown so far in 2021. They’ve surrendered eight touchdowns to opponents in the final two minutes of the 1st Half.
- The only player in NFL history with more Receiving Yards and Touchdowns through 28 career games than Justin Jefferson is Odell Beckham Jr.
- Minnesota would draft 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft if the event occurred today.
- Suddenly, the Vikings special teams production is borderline fantastic. They rank fifth in the NFL per special teams DVOA.
- In the Mike Zimmer era, the Vikings are 1-4 (.200) on Thursday Night Football, ranking second-to-last in the NFL on TNF behind the winless Lions (0-1) since 2014.
- A team led by Kirk Cousins has never beat the Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, or Chiefs.
Also Read: Impending Change Comes Knocking for Vikings