Welcome to the Minnesota Vikings Training Camp Diary! Here, you’ll find everything you need to know about the Vikings’ training camp practice on August 15 in an easy-to-read bullet form.
Mystery solved! Injury updates
- We finally know why Everson Griffen has been absent from practice this week thanks to Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune. He still has a chance to play on Saturday, but it’s unlikely he’ll suit up.
An update on Everson Griffen: Sources say he's not practicing because he cut his leg on a table several days ago and the cut got infected. @Andrew_Krammer adds there's a chance Griffen could play Saturday.
— Ben Goessling (@GoesslingStrib) August 15, 2018
A humbling experience. Learn from it.
— Everson Griffen (@EversonGriffen) August 15, 2018
- Brian Robison has been filling in at first-team DE during Griffen’s absence.
- Rashod Hill (ankle) was back at practice today after missing yesterday’s session due to a rolled ankle that he suffered Monday. He did not take part in either practice session.
- Jalyn Holmes (undisclosed) and Tashawn Bower (knee) were both present for morning the walk-through. Bower still has a wrap on his right knee. Neither participated in the padded portion of practice with Jacksonville. Stacy Coley (leg) and Brandon Zylstra (hamstring) were also held out.
- Mike Remmers (ankle) was in pads for the afternoon practice but did not do much as he’s being eased back into action.
- Running back Mack Brown (leg) returned to the field this morning. He suffered an injury during the game in Denver. He took part in the AM walk-through but did not suit up for the afternoon practice.
- Tight end Josiah Price was carted off the field during the mixed portion of practice with Jacksonville. No word yet on his status.
Bring on Jacksonville
- Tight end Tyler Conklin spent some time with the first-team offense during 2 TE sets in the morning walk-through. He went on to shine in the afternoon practice as he got open with ease and showed off a surprising burst of speed.
- The solid play of Vikings rookie cornerback Mike Hughes carried over into today’s practice.
Mike Hughes pic.twitter.com/zsyf7Vrx0R
— Yinka Ayinde (@Saxyprince) August 15, 2018
- As did the play of running back Roc Thomas.
Roc Thomas just teleported. No other way to describe that lateral cut. Didn't see that all camp until now. Left an opposing DL in the ground.
— Arif Hasan (@ArifHasanNFL) August 15, 2018
- Stefon Diggs and Harrison Smith stood out all day. Diggs left a Jaguars DB in the dust with a route that would make a cheetah jealous. The defender’s feet were so tangled his momentum carried him towards the sideline as Diggs (already 10 yards away) caught the pass on a post route running in the opposite direction. Smith was equally impressive, nearly picking off two passes in red zone drills.
- Also making the day tough on Blake Bortles were Anthony Barr and Terence Newman. Each made plays on Jacksonville’s quarterback with Barr swatting down a pass and Newman collecting an interception.
- Trevor Siemian had a bounce-back day. He made a couple beautiful throws and seemed to embrace playing against a different defense.
- Brian O’Neill held his own against the monstrous Calais Campbell.
I’ve been watching Brian O’Neill a bunch today during 11 on 11 today. He’s done considerably well in several reps holding the edge against Calais Campbell and just helped on a double team of Malik Jackson.
— Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) August 15, 2018
- Jake Wieneke made an impressive leaping catch on a pass from Kyle Sloter. No doubt it would have gone for six. Well, probably.
- The atmosphere at the Vikings practice facility with the Jaguars also present was electric. A SKOL chant broke out in the crowd, there were national media swarming around like bees, and the energy was off the charts. I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes an annual tradition in Eagan.
- I’ll leave you with this comical moment from the sidelines that made my day.
“Latavius Murray is a freakin’ freak of nature. Holy sh-t!” said John DeFilippo’s father, whom I just met. “How can you be built like that and be so quick?”
— Sean Borman (@SeanBoarMan) August 15, 2018