The Vikings 2022 Defense by the Numbers: After Week 8
The Minnesota Vikings have seven games in the books in 2022, strutting out of Week 8 with a 6-1 record.
Rookie head coach Kevin O’Connell won for a sixth time in Week 8, thanks to the best pass rush of the season to date from his defensive line and some consistent offensive output from Kirk Cousins and his cronies. Next up, the Vikings travel to the 4-4 Washington Commanders, who have unexpectedly won three straight games and inserted their face in the wildcard playoff race.
The Vikings are 3.5-point favorites on the road against the Commanders, who toppled the Indianapolis Colts, 17-16, at Lucas Oil Stadium.
These are the Vikings defensive rankings through Week 8.
Note: With bye weeks underway, all stats are “per game.”
- 3rd in Yards per Point Allowed
- 5th in Takeaways
- 5th in Sacks
- 6th in Fewest Defensive Penalties
- 6th in Fewest Defensive Penalty Yards
- 8th in Rushing Yards Allowed
- 8th in 1st Half Points Allowed
- 9th in Defensive 3rd Down Conv %
- 9th in Yards per Rush Allowed
- 9th in INT %
- 9th in Sack %
- 10th in Points per Play Allowed
- 14th in Points Allowed
- 16th in Rushing Defense DVOA
- 17th in Defensive EPA/Play
- 17th in TDs Allowed
- 19th in 2nd Half Points Allowed
- 21st in Defense DVOA
- 21st in Defensive 4th Down Conv %
- 22nd in Passing Defense DVOA
- 22nd in Passer Rating Allowed
- 25th in Rushing TDs Allowed
- 26th in 1st Downs Allowed
- 28th in Yards Allowed
- 28th in Yards per Play Allowed
- 29th in Completion % Allowed
- 29th in Passing Yards Allowed
- 31st in Yards per Pass Allowed
- 32nd in Redzone TD % Allowed
Vikings Territory Also Read: Vikings Should Call Old Friend for Stretch Run
Dustin Baker is a political scientist who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2007. Subscribe to his daily YouTube Channel, VikesNow. He hosts a podcast with Bryant McKinnie, which airs every Wednesday with Raun Sawh and Sally from Minneapolis. His Viking fandom dates back to 1996. Listed guilty pleasures: Peanut Butter Ice Cream, ‘The Sopranos,’ and The Doors (the band).