The Vikings 2022 Defense by the Numbers: After Week 7
The Minnesota Vikings have six games in the books in 2022, with a 5-1 record waltzing out of the bye week.
Rookie head coach Kevin O’Connell won for a fifth time in Week 6, thanks to the best defensive showing of the season to date and some timely offensive plays from Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook, Justin Jefferson, Adam Thielen, and Irv Smith. Next up, the Vikings host the 3-4 Arizona Cardinals, who could be terribly explosive — or completely lifeless. Both traits have affected the Cardinals in 2022.
The Vikings are 3.5-point favorites at home against the Cardinals, who toppled the New Orleans Saints on Thursday Night Football in Week 7 with a season-saving performance.
These are the Vikings defensive rankings through Week 7.
Note: With bye weeks underway, all stats are “per game.”
- 1st in Fewest Defensive Penalty Yards
- 2nd in Fewest Defensive Penalties
- 3rd in Yards per Point Allowed
- 7th in Defensive 3rd Down Conv %
- 8th in Takeaways
- 8th in Passing TDs Allowed
- 8th in Sacks
- 9th in Points per Play Allowed
- 9th in Sack %
- 10th in 1st Half Points Allowed
- 12th in Points Allowed
- 13th in Yards per Rush Allowed
- 14th in Rushing Yards Allowed
- 15th in 2nd Half Points Allowed
- 16th in TDs Allowed
- 16th in INT %
- 16th in Defense EPA/Play
- 20th in Passer Rating Allowed
- 21st in 1st Downs Allowed
- 21st in Pass Defense DVOA
- 21st in Rush Defense DVOA
- 24th in Defense DVOA
- 25th in Defensive 4th Down Conv %
- 27th in Yards Allowed
- 27th in Rushing TDs Allowed
- 28th in Completion % Allowed
- 30th in Yards per Play Allowed
- 32nd in Redzone TD % Allowed
Vikings Territory Also Read: Kirk Cousins to 49ers Gossip Is Back
Dustin Baker is a political scientist who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2007. Subscribe to his daily YouTube Channel, VikesNow. He hosts a podcast with Bryant McKinnie, which airs every Wednesday with Raun Sawh and Sally from Minneapolis. His Viking fandom dates back to 1996. Listed guilty pleasures: Peanut Butter Ice Cream, ‘The Sopranos,’ and The Doors (the band).