20 Things to Know before Ravens-Vikings
The Minnesota Vikings (3-4) venture to Maryland for a matchup with the Baltimore Ravens (5-2) in Week 9.
Here are 20 stats, facts, and things to know leading into the AFC-NFC showdown.
- The Vikings have reached the playoffs 55% of the time in seasons they started 3-4.
- The Vikings have only reached the postseason one time in franchise history when starting a season 3-5. It was 1980.
- Sunday’s game will be the first time the Vikings have faced Lamar Jackson.
- Mason Cole (C) will make his first career start as a member of the Vikings because his counterpart, Garrett Bradbury, is on the COVID list.
- Since the start of 2015, the Vikings are exactly average without Danielle Hunter in the lineup — 9-9.
- The Ravens have hosted the Vikings four times in Maryland. The only time Minnesota won was in 1998.
- Kirk Cousins is the NFL’s second highest-graded quarterback per Pro Football Focus, behind only Tom Brady.
- The Vikings lead the NFL in sacks per game.
- Minnesota’s defense ranks 4th in the NFL for DVOA but 20th in yards per play allowed. Weird stuff.
- The Ravens rank fourth in the NFL in stopping the run but last in the NFL in stopping the pass. Let’s see if the Vikings know this.
- The Vikings are the first team in NFL history to have fewer than six giveaways but 20+ sacks on defense through the first seven games of a season — and have a losing record to show for it.
- Minnesota leads the NFL in offensive holding penalties (18).
- The Vikings rank fifth in the league for points scored in the 1st Quarter — and 30th in points scored during the 4th Quarter.
- Baltimore has surrendered 10 touchdowns of 25+ yards through Week 8. This is the most in the NFL.
- Through seven games of the 2013 season, the Vikings scored 163 points. Through seven games of the 2021 season, the Vikings have scored 163 points.
- 86.7% of all Vikings offensive plays have occurred in 2021 when the score margin of the game is within 7 points.
- The Ravens are the NFL’s third-best team scoring touchdowns in the redzone.
- During the Mike Zimmer era, the Vikings are the league’s 13th-best road team.
- With Lamar Jackson in charge, the Ravens have lost back-to-back home games just one time.
- Kirk Cousins has faced Baltimore as a starter once in his career, and Washington won that game 16-10 in 2016.
Dustin Baker is a political scientist who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2007. He hosts a podcast with Bryant McKinnie, which airs every Wednesday with Raun Sawh and Sally from Minneapolis. His Viking fandom dates back to 1996. Listed guilty pleasures: Peanut Butter Ice Cream, ‘The Sopranos,’ and The Doors (the band).