Opinion

VT’s 53-Man Roster Projections

Here's who the Vikings Territory writers think will make the team.

The Minnesota Vikings will undergo a roster transformation no more than two days after the final preseason game. By Saturday, September 1st (the 53-man roster deadline), more than a third of the players on the team will be waived. Some of the players will stick around and remain on the practice squad, but the majority will vanish, likely forever.

Following preseason game number two, roles are still being decided. Plus, we’re still awaiting news on some player injuries that were potentially serious. Nevertheless, I asked a couple of writers at VT/Purple PTSD to take their best guess at the regular season roster. Here are the 53 players they believe will make the team:

NICK OLSON

• QB: Cousins, Siemian, Sloter
  • RB: Cook, Murray, Thomas, Ham
  • WR: Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Coley, Zylstra
  • TE: Rudolph, Morgan, Bell
  • OT: Reiff, Hill, O’Neill, Collins
  • iOL: Elflein, Remmers, Compton, Isidora, Edison
  • DE: Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Bower, Weatherly
  • DT: Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Odenigbo
  • LB: Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Williams (Brothers)
  • CB: Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, Newman, Sherels, Hill
  • S: Smith, Sendejo, Harris, Kearse
  • K: Carlson
  • P: Quigley
  • LS: McDermott

PRACTICE SQUAD

TE Conklin, OL Gossett, RB Boone, LB Downs, DT Holmes, CB Richardson, FB Stanton, CB Tocho, OL Norton, WR Jones

SEAN BORMAN

• QB: Cousins, Siemian, Sloter
  • RB: Cook, Murray, Thomas, Ham
  • WR: Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Coley, Zylstra, Beebe
  • TE: Rudolph, Morgan, Conklin
  • OT: Reiff, Hill, O’Neill, Collins
  • iOL: Elflein, Remmers, Compton, Isidora, Edison
  • DE: Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Weatherly, Bower
  • DT: Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes
  • LB: Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Downs (Brothers)
  • CB: Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, Newman, Sherels, Hill
  • S: Smith, Sendejo, Harris, Kearse
  • K: Carlson
  • P: Quigley
  • LS: McDermott

PRACTICE SQUAD

DT Odenigbo, WR Badet, TE Hoppes, RB Boone, LB Cliett, OL Gossett, WR Wieneke, CB Tocho, S Matthews, DE Wynn

LUKE BRAUN

• QB: Cousins, Siemian
  • RB: Cook, Murray, Thomas, Ham
  • WR: Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, King, Zylstra
  • TE: Rudolph, Morgan, Bell
  • OT: Reiff, Hill, O’Neill, Collins
  • iOL: Elflein, Remmers, Compton, Isidora, Edison
  • DE: Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Weatherly
  • DT: Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes, Odenigbo
  • LB: Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Williams, Downs (Brothers)
  • CB: Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, Newman, Sherels, Hill
  • S: Smith, Sendejo, Harris, Kearse
  • K: Carlson
  • P: Quigley
  • LS: McDermott

PRACTICE SQUAD

QB Sloter, WR Jones, TE Conklin, G Gossett, RB Boone, OL Norton, DE Bower, DE Aruna, CB Mathis, CB Tocho

Any surprises that you think will make the team? Let us know in the comments.

Sean Borman

Sean Borman is a writer with Minnesota roots that's a Vikings optimist. He was an intern with the Vikings during college and is an IT nerd by day. You can find him on the golf course during summer and on Twitter @SeanBormanNFL.

Related Articles

0 0 vote
Article Rating
15 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Douglas Myers
Douglas Myers
2 years ago

Good lists, shouldn’t Jones be listed as suspended like Brothers and we still have to wait and see with Williams. Can’t see Sloter on practice squad since teams were willing to trade for him last fall. Denver wouldn’t let him clear waivers.

Jake
Jake
2 years ago

I don’t see Slotter, Boone, Bower, Holmes or Odenigbo making through to the practice squad. I understand we can’t keep everyone but we should take a long look at cutting Sherels, Newman or Robison.

Gordon Guffey
Gordon Guffey
2 years ago

OK I’m to oddball on the #3 RB job ~ As of now IMHO Boone has shown more ~ Thomas made a great play on the screen pass because of his blockers {{{ what something good about the OL 🙂 }}} something Boone most likely could have done if he had a chance on the same play and Roc made a nice adjustment on his short TD catch ~ But overall if things stay at the same pace I don’t see Thomas beating out Boone ~ JMHO ~

Man I wouldn’t want to make the choice at QB ~ Be it at backup or if they keep 3 QB’s ~ The one thing I will say is Siemian is an FA next year and will cost much more than Slotter over the next 3 seasons ~ That being said is Siemian the next in line to be the next Case with the first team talent around him ~ ??? Man is this a tough call at this point ~

JMHO here ~ Odenigbo and Bower are as good as gone if they get cut ~ I say thing knowing they cannot keep everyone ~ Lots of tough calls this year ~

To date if I had to pick a most disappointing player it would be Richardson ~ You can beat me but please don’t make me write bad checks cause my wife will kick all of our butts ~ LOL ~ I thought I would see much more from him when it comes to putting pressure on the QB ~ We are talking about an 8 million dollar man here ~ Maybe Zimmer is just holding him back ~ ??? But that would seem kinda odd to me ~

At LBer I would have to go with Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Williams, Downs with Brothers the odd man out ~ Maybe you guys are seeing something I’m missing ~ ??? I mean Brothers isn’t the worst LBer to ever play in the NFL by any means ~ I have always found his play kind of blah ~

As always I have never claimed to be a talent scout or a coach at the college or pro levels ~

These next two weeks are going to be a dogfight at some of the poisons for sure ~

Gordon Guffey
Gordon Guffey
Reply to  Gordon Guffey
2 years ago

PS ~ This is the first year ever that I question Sherels making the team since he signed with the Vikings ~ If Beebe makes the 53 man roster then I think Sherels is as good as gone ~ With Beebe and Hughe on the roster they could fit the bill for return men ~ If it really comes down to it I think Hill’s talent pushing Sherels off the roster ~ But Beebe really needs to show something more as a return man over the next two weeks ~ I think he has it in him ~

Man I’m not liking my gut feeling this year ~ !!!

Gordon Guffey
Gordon Guffey
Reply to  Sean Borman
2 years ago

I know ~ I feel guilty doing it too ~

Gordon Guffey
Gordon Guffey
Reply to  Sean Borman
2 years ago

1} Boone/Thomas is going to go down to the wire. I like both of them honestly. Good luck to the coaches making that decision

Agree ~

2} I personally think it would be a mistake to go with 2 QB’s after what this team has been through over the past few years – you just never know. I also think Sloter is too promising to lose at this point in his career.

Really Agree ~ Like a lot ~ LOL

3) Odenigbo/Holmes was my toughest decision. With Big-O’s versatility he could have the edge, but it would be a waste of a “project” draft pick if Holmes is stolen away via waivers.

Agree ~

4) We disagree on Brothers as I’ve always thought he was an underrated player, but that suspension could really hurt his chances of making the team if one of the younger guys steps up – I just haven’t seen any of them do that up to this point.

Fair enough ~

5} As far as Richardson goes, I wouldn’t worry about him at all.

I posted a really good read on the message board today about Richardson and some of the things he is working on as he tries to improve his game ~ It was enough to give me a different outlook about him ~ Seems he is still a work in progress ~

Sheldon Richardson Changing His Game
Eric Smith
TEAM REPORTER

Wyatt
Wyatt
2 years ago

I really cant see guys like Zylstra or Beebe who are easily practice squad rosterable and have almost no chance of seeing the field over guys like Holmes who will not make it through waivers or guys like Parry or Wright who can actually contribute on the field.

Gordon Guffey
Gordon Guffey
Reply to  Sean Borman
2 years ago

{{{ Glad we’re at the point where we can debate depth pieces like these rather than the starting QB. }}}

I totally agree

Tim Clark
Tim Clark
2 years ago

1. I don’t see the value in 6 WRs with the lack of quality here. I’d rather keep Boone and Thomas than keep Wright or King. Can keep Coley for two games and if he does nothing, cut him for Jones after 4 games. SEA game will likely tell us if Zylstra is all he’s hyped up to be.

2. Perhaps trade Weatherly for a pick or OL depth for a vet likely to be cut? Bower and Odenigbo, and even Holmes, have shown much more in this camp and preseason.

3. I don’t see Bower, Sloter or Odenigbo make it to the PS. Browns need IDL and they’re high in the waiver wire order. I can also see someone like Sloter being poached by a number of teams.

4. Beebe could be the new Sherels, though I don’t think Sherels is cut. Beebe is small and slow but technically refined, knows how to get open, has good hands, and sticks his nose in on ST. I think he could be stashed n the PS though.

5. Extremely annoyed they didn’t either a) trade up for Corbett or C. Williams, b) keep the R3 pick they traded to TB and draft Alex Cappa, or c) draft Jamarco Jones in the 5th. Your odds of draft success are very good if you draft a Wisconsin, OSU or ND OL.

Back to top button